8 September 2020
IP Australia have announced changes to a number of Patent, Design and Trade Mark Official Fees, effective from 1 October 2020.
Notable changes include: PATENTS
- Renewal/Maintenance Fees – a new progressively increasing fee structure is being implemented (changing from a step-wise structure), with quite significant increases to the later year fees.
Note that multiple fees may be paid as a lump sum before 1 October 2020 to avoid the increases.
- Acceptance Fees for excess claims – whilst the threshold for paying excess claims fees at acceptance/allowance remains at 20 claims, the new official fee is AU$125 per claim for each claim over 20 claims, and AU$250 per claim for each claim over 30 claims.
Note that the number of claims may be reduced during examination to avoid/minimise paying excess claims fees.
- Filing Fees – Trade Mark Application Fees are increasing - e.g. the new filing fee for a standard (non-picklist) application is AU$400 per class.
- Filing Fees – for applications with multiple designs, there is a new fee of AU$200 per design.
- Renewal/Maintenance Fees – the new design renewal fee is AU$400.
Please contact us for further details.